CHALLENGE TYPE: Campaigning; Candidates; Media
Imagine that the Communications Director for a candidate of your choice has just hired your team as advisors. Your job is to come up with a convincing campaign strategy for how this candidate can appeal to voters in your home state (and/or your community in particular).
1. Research the demographics of your community.
- For example: if you live in Illinois you could google ‘Illinois demographics’ to learn more about what groups of voters this candidate would need to target to win. Young people? People in a particular religious/ethnic group? People who work in a certain field?
2. Pick one of these groups and design a pitch for a campaign strategy that includes the following info:
- Who is the target audience?
- What are the priorities/interests/concerns of this target audience? NOTE: Be careful not to rely on stereotypes to answer this question. If your team is not a part of the target audience you choose, try to interview a few members of that community to learn what issues they care about instead of relying on assumptions.
- What about your chosen candidate would appeal to this target audience?
- What message should s/he send to this community?
- What forms of media should s/he use to get this message out to this intended audience and why?
3. Record 1+ teammates presenting your pitch and tweet or post a link to the presentation using the hashtag #NC.
Helpful tools or resources:
PRODUCT TO POST:
Audio or video