CHALLENGE TYPE: Candidates; Media
1. Visit Genius to create a free Genius account.
2. Find a transcript of a speech by (or a news article about) a candidate of your choice. Once on that page, add genius.it/ to the very beginning of the web address in your browser and hit enter. This will allow you to highlight text on the page and annotate the speech/story with your comments.
3. Taking the role of editor on behalf of youth in your community, add 14+ comments, questions, or rebuttals you have in response to this story.
- If you agree with the piece, add comments that use your own support the argument or policy proposals that the speaker/author is promoting.
- If you question their facts, ask questions about where they got their information and/or supply research that contradicts the points they are making.
4. Once finished, share the link for your annotated page (including the genius.it/ at the beginning). Include a new headline for the piece (that matches the comments you have added) and the hashtag #NJ in your tweet/post.
Note: If you cannot get Genius to work, you can also print the original speech/story, add your annotations by hand, and share a picture of your creation – just be sure it is legible!
Helpful tools and resources:
PRODUCT TO POST:
Link to annotated news story or candidate speech