CHALLENGE TYPE: Campaigning
1. Organize and host a Campaign Fair (to which at least four campaigns send representatives to speak with visitors about what that candidate stands for, what volunteer opportunities they have available, etc.) for students at your school and/or members of your community.
- Tip: You can organize this event on your own OR reach out to other community organizations (such as the League of Women Voters) to see if they might be planning similar events with which you could help.
2. Throughout the planning and execution of your event, collect artifacts (photos, tweets, links to any media coverage you receive etc.) that will help you tell the story of your event afterwards to those who couldn’t be there.
- Tip: Choose a hashtag for your event and encourage your participants to tweet and post during the event using that hashtag. Afterwards you’ll be able to search that hashtag and easily find everything they may have shared.
3. Post-event, use the artifacts (storytelling pieces) you have collected to create a Storify that tells the story of your event. Your Storify must include: a title, at least four ‘chapters’ (sections that each open with some explanatory text about the content you’re about to share) and 20 artifacts (photos, tweets, articles, etc.) that combine to tell the story of your event.
Suggested chapters include:
- Introduction – Why this challenge? What were your hopes for what you wanted to accomplish and why?
- Planning – What was challenging? What was fun? Did anything surprise you?
- The Day – Make your readers feel like they were there! What happened? Who was there? What was the mood of the event? Were there any themes in what people felt / experienced?
- Reflection – What did your team learn from this project? How do you feel having completed it? What are you going to do next? What advice do you have for other youth who might be thinking of trying to plan a similar event?
Helpful tools and resources:
- Six Tips and Best Practices for Using Storify
- Example of a Mikva-created Storify: Mikva Midterm Madness
- ADDITIONAL RESOURCES COMING SOON
PRODUCT TO POST:
Tweet/Post of link to finished Storify